Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Keep him out of my treats!

Well, as you may or may not know, I typically like to sleep in 'til around 10:00 or 11:00 each morning.  Sometimes I walk Curly to the door when she leaves around 6:30 and then I go back and lay in bed with The Guy 'til he makes me get up and go outside (I still don't know why he makes me stand outside for 5 minutes every morning). Generally, I then get a meager breakfast and go back to bed until the mailman comes.  

Not this morning.  Curly decided to scream and get both me and The Guy out of bed.  I guess she was concerned (and rightly so) because there was a mouse near my treats.  He can't actually get in the treats, but the fact that he was near them at all has me concerned.  Why do I even keep the humans around here?  Is it that much to ask to keep me well fed, warm, un-mutilated, and the house mouse-free?  

Look at all I do for them.  I bark at the mailman.  I usually let them know when someone comes to visit.  I let them play with The Man.  If I feel like it, I even get out of bed to welcome them home.  What do I get in return?  Dry cereal for dinner EVERY day, locked outside every morning without a jacket or shoes (I don't have much fur on my stomach), and half my ear cut off for no apparent reason.  I'm considering changing the locks.

Anyway, it's been 11 hours since "the scream" and they still don't have the mouse.  This is unacceptable.  It's not unusual - I usually have to tell them there's a mouse in the house, but I REFUSE to lower myself to the status of a cat and attempt to catch it.  That's what humans are for (that and picking up my poop).

No comments: